This Saturday, November 2, 2013, is the 14th Annual March to Abolish the Death Penalty in Austin at the Texas Capitol at 2 PM on Saturday. Meet on the South Steps of the Capitol. We will march through the streets of downtown Austin with a stop in front of the Texas Governor's mansion and return to the Texas Capitol.
The march will be led by several exonerated death row survivors from Witness to Innocence who each spent many years on death row waiting to be executed for crimes they did not commit. They made it out of the system alive, but there are many innocent people still on death row and other innocents who did not make it out alive.
If you would like to help us with the expenses of hosting several death row exonerees, please donate. We have already raised $400 of our $500 fundraising goal for the annual march.
You can also send a check to:
Texas Moratorium Network
3616 Far West Blvd, Suite 117, Box 251
Austin, Texas 78731
Speakers at the march will also include family members of people currently on death row, family members of murder victims who oppose the death penalty, community leaders, faith leaders, activists and others. We represent a growing number of people across Texas and the nation who oppose the death penalty.
Some people you can expect to see and walk alongside of at the march include:
- Timothy McKinney - Former death row prisoner in Tennesse, newly released!
- Lawrence Hayes - Former New York death row prisoner
- Mark Clements - Former Illinois juvenile life without parole prisoner and police torture victim
- Shujaa Graham- Former death row prisoner in California and member of Witness to Innocence
- Ron Keine - Former death row prisoner in New Mexico and member of Witness to Innocence*
- Delbert Tibbs - former death row prisoner in Florida and member of Witness to Innocence.
- De'Jaun Davis-Correia - Nephew of innocent and executed Georgia death row prisoner Troy Davis. De'Juan fought alongside his mother Martina Correia and the Davis family to save the life of Troy.
- Sandra Reed - mother of Texas death row prisoner Rodney Reed
- Jack Bryson - Whose son was on the platform with Oscar Grant when Oscar was shot and killed by Oakland transit police
- Barbara Lewis - Mother of Delaware death row prisoner Robert Gattis
- Delia Perez Meyer - Sister of Texas death row prisoner Louis Castro Perez
- Lawrence Foster, Sr. - Grandfather of former Texas death row prisoner Kenneth Foster, Jr. whose sentence was commuted to life in 2007
- Airicka Gordon-Taylor - Cousin of Emmett Till and the Executive Director of the Mamie Till Mobley Memorial Foundation, activist against police brutality and the new Jim Crow
- The Kids Against the Death Penalty - young family members of Texas death row prisoner Jeff Wood, convicted under the unjust Law of Parties
If you cannot attend the march, please forward this email to people you know who might be interested.
Texas has executed 506 people since 1982 (as of Oct 28, 2013).
The annual march is organized as a joint project of several Texas and national organizations, including: Texas Moratorium Network, the Austin chapter of the Campaign to End the Death Penalty, the Texas Death Penalty Abolition Movement, Texas Students Against the Death Penalty, Witness to Innocence, Texas Civil Rights Project, Texas Death Penalty Education and Resource Center, Kids Against the Death Penalty, The Austin Chronicle, Nokoa - the Observer, Democrats for Life, the Gray Panthers and Texas Democrats Against the Death Penalty.
Let us know if your organization would like to be listed a a sponsor.
We hope to see you at the march!
Your friends at
Texas Moratorium Network